Even if the Packers sign a top cornerback in free agency, Gutekunst will nearly certainly use one of his first few picks on the position. After making the move to get him from the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland then chose to strengthen their defensive backfield by acquiring Green Bay Packers defensive back Damarious Randall in exchange for quarterback DeShone Kizer, which was reported by NFL Insider Ian Rapoport. He finished the year as the Packers' leader in interceptions (four) and pass break-ups (13).
In early 2017, Randall was summarily benched for poor play and an apparent negative attitude with the coaching staff.
The incestuous nature of this trade only grows with new Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine being the former Browns head coach.
After the season, when asked about Randall, McCarthy did not mince words.
Cleveland selected the rifle-armed Kizer in the second round last year, and after a unusual training camp in which he passed both Cody Kessler and Brock Osweiler on the depth chart, the 22-year-old was named the Browns' starter by coach Hue Jackson.
For the Browns, the appeal is obvious: They get a talented cornerback with pedigree to add to a secondary that lacks playmakers. His first game versus the Pittsburgh Steelers was not the debut he was hoping for. He completed 53.6 percent of his passes for 2,894 yards, 11 touchdowns and 22 interceptions as a rookie. He probably played the best football of his career, but then he didn't play the last two games. The Browns haven't been known for savvy quarterback management in recent years.
He vastly outplayed Brett Hundley who struggled mightily with the Packers for most of his time as the starter, showing a lack of polish and poise.
Kizer has three years left on his rookie deal. Hundley filled in for Aaron Rodgers after he went down a collarbone injury. If he hopes to be the number two option in Green Bay next season, Hundley will have to compete with Kizer for that opportunity. Veteran Davin House, who came back to Green Bay on a one-year deal last season, is a free agent.
- Chelsea boss Antonio Conte: Barcelona clash all about our character
- China's two-term presidential limit to be scrapped after vote
- India's top court upholds passive euthanasia with guidelines: chief justice
- West Ham boss Moyes confirms Hart recall
- Arsenal end three-match losing run in the EPL
- URI set to take on Oklahoma in the NCAA Tournament
- Trump pushes back on report he's 'unhappy' with legal team
- Waffle House worker captured in act of kindness
- Statue Vandalism - Tripura, Tamil Nadu and now Bengal, Politics stooped new low
- NCAA snubs USC, Notre Dame highlight NIT field