He went on to assert in another tweet that he was against import duties in general, "but the current rules make things very hard", he tweeted.
China's levies on auto imports are a problem for the USA e-car pioneer, which wants to expand its presence in the country's growing electric vehicle market without compromising its independence or intellectual property.
Some analysts have questioned whether Musk's other interests, from space exploration to tunnel boring technology, are a distraction at what is seen as a critical time for Tesla.
Elon Musk noted that China was charging a 25 percent import duty on cars - ten times the 2.5 percent levy the United States puts on China-built vehicles.
"We raised this with the prior administration and nothing happened".
"We're going to be doing a reciprocal tax program at some point, so that if China is going to charge us 25% or if India is going to charge us 75%.we're going to be at those same numbers". But its likely he could expand the scope of the tariffs considering earlier this week he tweeted that "trade wars are good, and easy to win".
Later on Thursday, Trump defied opposition from the Republican party and protests from global allies as he signed orders imposing stiff and sweeping new tariffs on imported steel (25 per cent) and aluminium (10 per cent).
"Just want a fair outcome, ideally where tariffs/rules are equally moderate", Musk tweeted. Highway sightings of the trucks going about their business started popping up last month, just a little more than three months after Musk unveiled the prototype at a glitzy Southern California shindig.
'To me, that was more incredible than watching the rocket go up because I've never seen that before. They came back without wings or without anything, they landed so beautifully'. "Nothing more. Hope this does not seem unreasonable", he wrote. One year later, that figure doubled to over £2 billion. "They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there". Musk previously served on Trump's advisory council.
- Cyclones surrounding Jupiter's poles are unlike anything else encountered in solar system
- Wednesday forecast: sunny and windy, high 50
- Duchess of Cambridge backs Pegasus Primary School's mental health work
- Gattuso has restored AC Milan's identity - Shevchenko
- Valve will re-enter the game making business, so sayeth Gaben
- Williams and Azarenka make winning returns to WTA tour at Indian Wells
- Ireland comes first, and no financial services, Tusk tells UK
- Daylight saving time 2018: Seven things to know about 'springing forward'
- Jane Doe Powerball Winner Wants to Give $50 Million to Charity
- Gandhi statue vandalised at Taliparamba