The 59-year-old Boucher has admitted to tackling Paul from behind as he mowed his lawn last November. Rand Paul a year ago pleaded guilty Friday to one felony charge of assaulting a member of Congress resulting in personal injury. A friend of Paul's said the senator had alighted from his ride-on lawnmower to remove a tree branch when he was suddenly tackled from behind.
Paul suffered multiple broken ribs in the attack.
"This has been profoundly embarrassing for him, he's very much looking forward to moving on and this is the next step in achieving that", Baker said of his client Friday.
The sentencing date has been set for June 15.
Federal prosecutors recommended a sentence of 21-months.
In January, Boucher's attorney, Matt Baker, said his client may face jail time, but said that will be up to the judge. Paul was mowing his yard while wearing headphones. He returned to Washington less than two weeks later but developed pneumonia when he returned to Kentucky.
Boucher, a retired doctor and registered Democrat, said the attack was a dispute between neighbors and not politically motivated, according to CBS's Louisville affiliate, WLKY.
Paul has said he's recovering well from the attack.
The two have always been next-door neighbors in their subdivision, but have disagreed over lawn maintenance. Instead, it had to do with a property dispute, the documents said.
Battani allowed Boucher to remain free on a $25,000 unsecured bond ahead of his sentencing, and ordered him not to have any contact with the senator or his family.
- Cyclones surrounding Jupiter's poles are unlike anything else encountered in solar system
- Neiphiu Rio to swear in as next CM of Nagaland today
- Voicemail-like video messages are coming to Duo
- Russian Federation expert analyzes spy poisoning case in UK
- Marvel Studios head confirms 'Black Panther' will be getting a sequel. Duh
- Mario Kart invades Google Maps today
- 3 takeaways for Broncos from 2018 National Football League combine
- States warned of mumps exposure at national cheerleading competition
- Jane Doe Powerball Winner Wants to Give $50 Million to Charity
- Eugene Airport will offer new nonstop flight to San Diego