The Seahawks made the decision to move on from cornerback Richard Sherman on Friday. He has a visit lined up with the 49ers on Saturday, Anderson reported, and has received interest from six other clubs: the Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Bucs and Packers.
Thomas Davis may have provided a clue to how he feels when the Panthers' veteran linebacker posted a picture on Instagram of him and Sherman together on Friday.
Since entering the league in 2011, Sherman has been one of the NFL's best at the position. Sherman's free agency will be complex as he is coming off of a serious Achilles injury, and he'll turn 30 years old before the beginning of next season.
If healthy, Sherman, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who excels in physical man-to-man coverage, would be an ideal fit for the 49ers' 4-3 defense.
"I want to go to a contender", Sherman said.
But Sherman said at the Sports Star awards he thought he would be ready for the beginning of mini-camp.
Shaquill Griffin will return as the starter at right cornerback and the team is expected to tender restricted free agent Justin Coleman to return as the nickel corner.
Sherman is now an unrestricted free agent and free to negotiate and sign with another team.
Seattle also could re-sign Byron Maxwell, who returned to the Seahawks in November following Sherman's season-ending injury and started the rest of the way at left cornerback.
- Williams and Azarenka make winning returns to WTA tour at Indian Wells
- Britain and Saudi Arabia target 65 billion pound trade and investment ties
- Gandhi statue vandalised at Taliparamba
- Mario Kart invades Google Maps today
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk weighs in on Trump trade battle with China
- Cyclones surrounding Jupiter's poles are unlike anything else encountered in solar system
- Voicemail-like video messages are coming to Duo
- Daylight Saving Time Kicks In This Sunday At 2a
- Gattuso has restored AC Milan's identity - Shevchenko
- Charlize Theron actually urinated herself when she met David Oyelowo