"I am saddened to learn about the death of the Huffman High School student", she said in a statement.
The shooting prompted a brief lockdown though students were subsequently released late Wednesday and authorities said they had subsequently determined that the shooting was not perpetrated by "someone from the outside" the school. The chief says the shooting occurred as school was being dismissed Wednesday, adding it's not from where "someone from the outside came into the school".
Arrington was set to graduate from the school in May, and had already been accepted into a college to follow her dreams of becoming a nurse.
"Tonight, let us wrap our arms around the Huffman community", Randall Woodfin, mayor of Birmingham, tweeted.
"At this particular time, we are considering this accidental", said Wilson at a press conference, according to Time. "Our hearts are heavy", he said.
Some of those students actually witnessed the shooting this afternoon.
A male was also taken to the hospital where he was treated and released, the department said. But he says investigators still have a lot of unanswered questions.
A school official confirmed there are working metal detectors onsite.
One student has been killed at a high school in a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama, while another is in critical condition. "There are so many unknowns at this time".
Huffman High School canceled classes on Thursday in order to give law enforcement the chance to investigate, according to AL.com.
"We're not saying he shot her, we're not saying he didn't shoot her", the chief said. During that announcement, Governor Ivey advocated for increased funding for school security measures. "I can't imagine what those children have gone through, not just in Huffman High School but all over this state", state Sen.
Gov. Kay Ivey also offered her prayers to Arrington's family as tributes poured in on social media. Every life is precious and, even though this was an accident, it reaffirms that there is no place for students to have firearms or other weapons on campus.
Multiple bills have been proposed in the Alabama legislature after 17 people were killed last month in a shooting rampage at a Parkland, Florida, high school. All these proposals face a tight deadline before the end of Alabama's legislative session this election year.
- Kenya: Rex Tillerson Mourns and Lauds Kenya on Eve of Africa Visit
- United States sues California over pro-immigrant laws
- Michael B Jordan offers to replace fan's retainer
- Duchess of Cambridge backs Pegasus Primary School's mental health work
- Gattuso has restored AC Milan's identity - Shevchenko
- League tourneys will impact NCAA basketball seedings
- Robert Mueller Demanding all Documents that Mention Trump
- Cyclones surrounding Jupiter's poles are unlike anything else encountered in solar system
- Daylight saving time 2018: Seven things to know about 'springing forward'
- 3 takeaways for Broncos from 2018 National Football League combine