Ranked as the No. 2 recruit in the 2017 class by 247Sports, Porter played just two minutes in Missouri's season opener against Iowa State.
For Mizzou fans, the news of Porter's return was joyous news.
Porter will not be in the starting lineup but is expected to come off the bench.
A few minutes before, when three Missouri players took the podium, it did not sound like they knew Porter was planning to play.
"He said, "Coach, I want to help the team" ... for me, it was always Mike's decision to play or not play", Martin told reporters Wednesday.
Martin said Porter, the No. 1 recruit in the country a year ago, will he able to help Missouri in a variety of ways. His doctor gave him the okay to return to basketball in late February 2018.
The Tigers have compiled a 20-11 record this season and will enter the conference tournament as the No. 5 seed after finishing 10-8 in league play.
- Vatican treasurer Cardinal Pell in court over historic sexual abuse allegations
- Apple could release new high-end headphones this year
- Here's the mugshot for Nashville Mayor Megan Barry, who resigned Tuesday
- Bears CB Kyle Fuller off the market for Raiders
- Aldon Smith enters rehab facility after alleged domestic violence incident, fiancée says
- Nothing was around before the origin of the universe: Stephen Hawking
- Robert Mueller Demanding all Documents that Mention Trump
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Leaked by Retailer
- Kenya: Rex Tillerson Mourns and Lauds Kenya on Eve of Africa Visit
- Israeli Prime Minister, Netanyahu To Talk With Trump About Attending Embassy Opening