In August 2013 hundreds of people, including many children, are killed in a suspected toxic chemical attack on the region and another rebel bastion near Damascus, Moadamiyet al-Sham. "The area has turned into a ghost town as everyone in the area has been displaced and all medical facilities were attacked". The Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations said in a statement Thursday night that five hospitals had been attacked and put out of service in less than 24 hours.
The government, backed in the war by Russian Federation and Iran, is seeking to crush the enclave in a ferocious campaign that the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says has killed more than 900 civilians in the last 18 days, including 91 on Wednesday.
Syria's war has killed more than 340,000 people and displaced millions since starting in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-government protests. Now imagine 344 wounded on average per day. It did not report any deaths but said it was likely that more victims were being treated at other clinics.
State-run Syrian TV on Friday reported that "dozens of civilians" would likely get out of Eastern Ghouta, in addition to 13 gunmen who had turned themselves in, via the Wafideen safe corridor designated by the government.
The fighting has prompted worldwide outrage, culminating in the UN Security Council demanding an immediate ceasefire, aid deliveries and evacuations. "Unfortunately, not just in Syria - but in Syria it has been particularly severe, this failure", said Grandi in response to a question from CNN at a news conference in Beirut on Friday.
The UN Security Council and Russian President Vladimir Putin had issued calls for a pause in fighting to allow civilians to leave, but both were ignored.
Last month Syrian government forces launched an operation to take control of Eastern Ghouta.
In an attempt to alleviate the dire humanitarian crisis in Eastern Ghouta, a 46-truck convoy managed to enter the enclave for the first time in weeks on Monday.
The delivery of aid to Syria's rebel-held Eastern Ghouta has been "postponed", the Red Cross has said, as Syrian government forces stepped up their offensive against rebels in the enclave.
The trucks included 2,400 food parcels and 3,240 wheat flour bags.
A person inspects damaged building in the besieged town of Douma, eastern Ghouta, Damascus, Syria, Feb. 20, 2018. Shortly after the aid convoy crossed into the enclave on Friday, however, the monitor said air attacks had resumed.
"We need in the humanitarian community a chance to deliver assistance".
The following month, the United Nations children's agency UNICEF says childhood malnutrition levels in the region are the highest recorded in Syria.
"The ICRC are saying that they have positive indications that a bigger convoy will be allowed in the coming days", she said prior to the reports that air raids had resumed.
The Syrian government initially barred most medical supplies in the aid convoy from getting through, according to Linda Tom, spokeswoman for the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Syria.
- Gattuso has restored AC Milan's identity - Shevchenko
- CDC: Increases in Opioid-Involved Overdoses in All Five US Regions
- FDA Gives 23andMe Approval To Check For BRCA Mutations
- Neiphiu Rio to swear in as next CM of Nagaland today
- France's Le Drian says more work needed with Iran over ballistics
- Wednesday forecast: sunny and windy, high 50
- Williams and Azarenka make winning returns to WTA tour at Indian Wells
- Britain and Saudi Arabia target 65 billion pound trade and investment ties
- Gandhi statue vandalised at Taliparamba
- Cyclones surrounding Jupiter's poles are unlike anything else encountered in solar system