The incident comes as part of heated statue vandalism row that seems to have started in the nation. Another disturbing instance of vandals overstepping their bounds was when some of them smeared red pain on the statue of BR Ambedkar, Wednesday night.
Gandhi's bust near the Thaliparamba taluk office was found defaced in the morning with its spectacle carving damaged and a garland on it seen lying nearby. Another statue of Lenin was vandalised in the state as well.
Statues of Gandhi and BR Ambedkar vandalised in Kerala and Tamil Nadu
Police said that accused is mentally unstable. According to reports, Chennai police took cognizance of the matter and rushed to the spot at around 9 am.
The statue, located inside the compound of the Taliparamnba Taluk Office, was vandalised at around 8:30 a.m., according to eyewitnesses. Two people - one from BJP and the other from CPI - were arrested in connection with the incident. Several political parties have expressed concerns regarding the incident. The officials later said that a new Ambedkar statue had been installed.
A bust of Dravidian movement founder EV Ramasamy Periyar was also desecrated in Tamil Nadu's Vellore, triggering widespread protests across the state.
- States warned of mumps exposure at national cheerleading competition
- Mark Cuban Denies Accusation of Sexual Assault from 2011 Case
- CDC: Increases in Opioid-Involved Overdoses in All Five US Regions
- Gattuso has restored AC Milan's identity - Shevchenko
- Kenya: Rex Tillerson Mourns and Lauds Kenya on Eve of Africa Visit
- Trump 'basically going to war' with California, Jerry Brown says
- Wednesday forecast: sunny and windy, high 50
- Mizzou's Michael Porter Jr. will play in SEC Tournament
- Duchess of Cambridge backs Pegasus Primary School's mental health work
- Jennifer Garner gave us the flawless meme at the Oscars