Neither student has been publicly identified, but they're both 15 years old; one is a boy and the other is girl. The boy was listed in critical condition with a shot to the temple.
The school is now on lockdown and there is no immediate word on the extent of injuries.
In Los Angeles, students at middle and high schools are required to go through daily random searches for weapons. Two of the victims were 15-year-old students.
Two students at Salvador Castro Middle School in the Westlake area were shot at around 8:53 a.m. on Thursday while in a classroom, according to various news reports.
Police said three other people, including a 30-year-old woman, also sustained minor injuries but not gunshot wounds.
Diego Salinas had just dropped his 12-year-old sister at the school and was stunned when she called minutes later to say there had been a shooting. Madison said one of those victims was transported to a hospital for treatment of abrasions.
Aerial footage broadcast on local television showed a girl being escorted out of the school in handcuffs.
As news of the incident spread, anxious parents flocked to the campus, eager to reunite with their children.
Los Angeles police spokesman Josh Rubenstein confirmed that the shooting was ruled out as accidental. "Someone made a decision to bring a gun, I guess someone was accidentally playing around with it", the 12-year-old identified as Benjamin said. She was taken into custody nearly immediately after the incident.
This was at least the third school shooting in recent weeks in the United States.
Robert Arcos, commanding officer for the Central Bureau, told the press outside the school that the campus and community were now safe.
"We have our school mental health folks who are here to support the needs of the students and we will continue to work with those students", he said.
The Los Angeles Unified School District released a statement saying that officials were cooperating with police in the investigation.
- Syria May Be Making New Types Of Chemical Weapons, US Officials Say
- TRU joins the conversation on Bell Let's Talk Day
- Second The Making Of Monster Hunter
- Classified Australian files 'accidentally sold'
- Conte, Mancini, Ancelotti, Ranieri
- Polar bears could become extinct faster than was feared, study says
- USA calls for new nuclear weapons as Russian Federation develops nuclear-armed torpedo
- Snow Possible Early Friday, National Weather Service Says
- Police arrest man accused of killing youth in Kasganj communal clash
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Active SM-G892U & SM-G892A gets Wi-Fi Certification