It was Hilal who opened fire at the cops and killed them before Jatt was whisked away.
Two critically wounded policemen succumbed to their wounds while the third remained unhurt. The death toll stands at two.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police on Thursday arrested five people in connection with the shooting at a Srinagar hospital that helped militant Mohammed Naveed Jat escape from custody earlier this week, PTI reported. We could have fired in hospital but we would have killed civilians. In the confusion, Jutt managed to escape with the pheran-clad men, who had come on a motorbike. However, the police said it is premature to comment on Naikoo's claim. Bhat said the entire area, including Batmaloo and Karan Nagar, has been cordoned and searches are going on.
The arrests were made on the basis of the CCTV footage of the SMHS hospital and the leads obtained during consequent investigations, the police sources said.
The fifth - Hilal Ahmad Rather - is at large, he said.
He said after killing the policemen, Jutt and two militants fled on the motorbike and then at Abdullah Bridge, Tika picked them up in the vehicle and took them to his home at Kakpora. "I thought an encounter had started but the firing stopped suddenly". "Four people, who had done a recce and were also present in the hospital during the shootout, were arrested". He is said to be calling his devotees and guests without hindrance to his barrack and giving them amulets and money from a welfare fund operated by him from within the jail. While another Babar Ahmad, a resident of Anantnag, also succumbed to his injuries.
Official sources told UNI that immediately after the escape, security forces and state police raided a number of places in Srinagar and south Kashmir.
Explaining that why militants went to such lengths to free Naveed, Khan said that the LeT had lost most of its local leadership and were desperately looking to free one of their jailed colleague to fill the leadership vacuum.
While addressing a press conference here in Srinagar, ADGP Muneer Khan, who is also serving as IGP Kashmir said that the case was cracked within four hours and two militants were arrested.
- Did Celtics Explore Trade For Blake Griffin Or DeAndre Jordan?
- Nassar sentenced to another 40 to 125 years for abuse of gymnasts
- North Korean cheerleading 'army of beauties' arrives at Olympics
- Polish President Approves Controversial Holocaust Bill
- Someone Broke Into Gronk's Home While He Was At The Super Bowl
- Capcom Vancouver Suffers Layoffs, Next Dead Rising Game Not Yet Greenlit
- Salah happy at boyhood club Liverpool
- Without accounting loss, GM posts record full-year profits
- Trade deficit hits highest level since 2008
- Spec Comparison: Huawei Mate 10 vs Huawei Mate 10 Pro