Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has warned Manchester United counterpart Jose Mourinho that he faces a fight to the bitter end in the race for second place after his side chalked up a regulation Premier League win at Southampton.
His pass to Salah was turned inside by the Egyptian for Firmino to apply the finishing touch for his 20th goal of the season. But it was not to be and the defeat meant a club record of seven home Premier League games without victory was equaled.
And this is how things stayed for the remainder of the clash, with the Saints struggling to create clear-cut goalscoring opportunities over the course of the second-half, whereas Liverpool could easily have added to their goal tally through the likes of Salah, Firmino and Sadio Mane.
Karius, easily the busier of the two goalkeepers, was tested again just before the half-hour mark, halting Guido Carrillo's header from a James Ward-Prowse cross.
Lovren has started on 18 occasions in the Premier League this season and the Croatian global played alongside van Dijk against Spurs in the dramatic 2-2 draw at Anfield.
The Reds' most recent fixture was a 2-2 draw at home to Spurs last Sunday which saw the hosts take the lead twice despite it being argued that they didn't deserve the point.
"I didn't know United had lost before the game, but we know we're not far away, and we play against them at least one more time this season", said Klopp.
The African forward started the weekend one goal adrift of the Premier League's leading goal-scorer Harry Kane before the England global netted the victor in the north London derby.
- Jammu Military camp assault: JeM terrorists injure three armymen, soldier's daughter
- Big Irish Contingent Line Up At Pebble Beach
- Sad Face: LL Bean Just Tightened Its Super Generous Return Policy
- Javier Hernandez says West Ham's Marko Arnautovic is an 'unbelievable all-around player'
- Canada's Morris and Lawes advance to mixed doubles curling semifinals
- Benghazi mosque bombing leaves one dead, over 30 wounded
- Bank of England: Bank Rate Maintained At 0.50
- German SPD Leader Turns Down Foreign Minister Post in New Cabinet
- Interserve (LON:IRV) Earns Buy Rating from Peel Hunt
- 'Psyched' teen snowboarder Gerard takes first USA Olympic gold