The ANC officials are expected to be led by party deputy president David Mabuza as party president Cyril Ramaphosa has recused himself from the meeting after being advised to do so by other top members of the party. However, cracks began to show in the top six leadership as ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule, a staunch Zuma supporter, told eNCA on Saturday that Zuma will deliver the Sona.
"There should be a change of guard". You need to transfer power‚ you can't have two centres of power.
The paper reported that Zuma will likely agree to do so, but not until after the State of the Nation Address later this week.
The timing of the motion of no confidence later this month took into account a busy Parliamentary schedule, including a February 8 State of the Nation address to be delivered by the president, according to Mbete's office.
He added that the best way to achieve this would be to go to Zuma and say "look we're not booting you out but we think we can work better this way".
These opposition maneuvers, whose desire is to put Zuma out of the presidential chair as soon as possible, occur amid charges of alleged corruption against the head of State that come back to public light after the National Prosecution annulled a ruling of the High Court of Justice which had rejected those charges.
Zuma is not due to leave office until the 2019 elections.
ANC spokeswoman Khusela Diko would not confirm or deny the crucial meeting on Sunday.
Mr Malema was one of the first to disclose that Mr Ramaphosa had won the race to succeed Mr Zuma as ANC leader in December. The embattled Zuma told supporters at his 75th birthday bash in Soweto, Johannesburg past year that he would resign should the ANC ask him to do so.
South Africa's Parliament will vote on a motion of no confidence in embattled President Jacob Zuma on February 22, the Parliamentary speaker said Friday, in an escalation of pressure on the leader to resign after a series of scandals.
- Spotify Launches New App Featuring Its Most Popular Playlists
- Iranian women take off headscarves to protest hijab
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Active SM-G892U & SM-G892A gets Wi-Fi Certification
- 2 killed, several injured in train derailment in SC
- North Korea earned US$200 million by flouting United Nations sanctions
- Conte, Mancini, Ancelotti, Ranieri
- Padman Challenge wraps bollywood; Are you ready for it too?
- Police arrest man accused of killing youth in Kasganj communal clash
- Portia surprises Ellen with a gorilla conservation center