The reasoning behind this is clear, Star Wars: Battlefront II did not meet EA's lofty sales targets.
Speaking during today's EA Q3 2018 earnings call, EA's CEO Andrew Wilson and CFO Blake Jorgensen discussed the future of the company's Star Wars games.
Despite a few setbacks in 2017 with Need for Speed and Star Wars Battlefront, EA still did well thanks to Battlefield 1 and the Federation Internationale de Football Association franchise.
Creutz said the better results came from more money spent per player in EA's sport games such as Federation Internationale de Football Association and Madden. When pressed for a time-frame for that, he indicated it would take place: "In the next few months". Players first suspected that the game could reward players who simply purchased the most powerful characters and upgrades during the early beta, and had their suspicions confirmed when the game launched early for pre-orders. Considering that EA was, at one point, against single player campaigns in multiplayer shooters, this is a big deal. Moving forward it will be interesting to see the relationship between Disney and EA in regards to Star Wars. Recall that its goal is to sell 14 million copies before the end of this fiscal year, so the controversial project was not so far from its goal. Fans were unimpressed, resulting in a backlash so large that it caused the stock price of EA to drop. "So we removed the feature that was taking away from what fans were telling us was an otherwise great game". This means that the distributor's objective is to debut the game between April 1, 2019, and March 31, 2020; however, there is always the possibility of a delay.
"Our diversity in portfolio, platforms, geographies, and business models is the foundation of a robust business that enables us to deliver dependable cash flow", said Jorgensen, in a statement.
We've reached out to EA for comment.
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Active SM-G892U & SM-G892A gets Wi-Fi Certification
- Quiksilver CEO Pierre Agnes missing in Atlantic
- Giroud relishes Champions League action with Chelsea
- Russian spy chiefs met in Washington with Central Intelligence Agency director to discuss counterterrorism
- Second The Making Of Monster Hunter
- South Korea has enforced new regulations on Bitcoin and other virtual currencies
- Tillerson embraces Latin America before visit
- Groundhog Day: 5 freakish things you don't know about this quirky tradition
- Justice Dept. files to dismiss charges against Sen. Bob Menendez
- Explainer: Why Washington Is Inflamed Over the Russia Probe Memo