However, that made no difference to the rising petrol and diesel prices as this Rs 8 amount was converted to "road cess" on fuel, thereby, making no change in the price of petrol and diesel for the consumer effectively.
Unbranded Petrol which attracted excise of Rs 6.48 per litre has been reduced to Rs 4.48 per litre. This net increase of tax by Rs 2 per litre on fuel will be offset by the Rs 2 per liter reduction in basic excise duty.
The central government levies Rs 19.48 per litre excise duty on petrol and Rs 15.33 on diesel.
RAC fuel spokesman Simon Williams says that, while costs are sure to be taking their toll on drivers, there is a "glimmer of hope" that fuel prices will drop again in the near future.
Notably, the prices of petrol and diesel have been increasing in the recent past due to the rising price of crude oil in global market and weakening Indian Rupee.
The government has excluded petrol and diesel from the ambit of GST (Goods and Service Tax). It will come into effect immediately owing to a declaration under the Provisional Collection of Taxes Act, 1931. "So, given that it is free pricing now, any projection on prices of petrol and diesel will be hard", Raju Kumar, tax partner, EY, said.
Earlier, the Finance Ministry had announced a Rs 2 per litre cut on petrol and diesel with effect from October 4, 2017, to cushion the impact of rising global prices of these petro products. Production curbs by the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and high demand have led to the surge.
During October month, Moody's said, "There is limited flexibility for the government to reduce taxes further if it were to maintain its fiscal discipline. This proves our stand that the BJP has always been in favour of capitalists", Siddaramaiah, who also holds the finance portfolio, said.
- Turkish Air Force bombs airport near Syria's Afrin
- Netanyahu visits Russian Federation , sets red lines for Iran in Lebanon
- Justice Dept. files to dismiss charges against Sen. Bob Menendez
- Taoyuan airport to service extra flights during Lunar New Year
- Khloe Kardashian Praises Kim Kardashian For Clapping Back At Haters
- Polar bears could become extinct faster than was feared, study says
- Interviews From The World Premiere Of Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- 'Mock' swearing-in ceremony for Kenyan opposition leader Raila Odinga
- Kiwi host Brendan Cole axed from United Kingdom dancing show
- Quiksilver CEO Pierre Agnes missing in Atlantic