"The Game Developers Conference has surveyed almost 4,000 game developers as part of the sixth annual State of the Industry Survey, which provides a snapshot of the game industry and highlights industry trends ahead of GDC 2018 in March", the official report explains.
The key takeaway from this year's report is the surge in interest for the Switch, with 12% of respondents now working on a game, and 36% registering interest in developing for Nintendo's hybrid device.
What's, even more, incredible is the fact that 1 in 3 developers have more interest in the Nintendo Switch when starting a project than any other platform.
Earth Wars has been released on the Nintendo Switch worldwide, and there's something interesting about the pricing. No one wanted to make games for the Wii U because they didn't think their games would sell on the Wii U. That hasn't been an issue for Switch developers though, as 23% say that their games sell as well on the Switch as on other consoles, and 28% say they actually sell better.
In 2016 and 2017, just 25 per cent of those surveyed said that they did (not) see VR as a sustainable business, but this year that number rose slightly to 29 per cent.
Virtual reality, meanwhile, appears as though it may be in the initial stage of a popularity downturn. 17 percent of devs expect their next game to be released for VR headsets.
PC is the most popular platform for developers, and its lead is expanding - 50% said their last game was released on PC, compared to 45% who said the same past year. Asked for elaboration, those developers responded with caution, with many saying loot boxes should award only cosmetic items, that those items are accessible without paying, and that the reward system be balanced for gameplay first. Eleven percent of respondents told GDC that they plan to introduce loot boxes or "paid item crates" in their next games. Last week saw a bunch of games launch for the Switch, with the indie darling Darkest Dungeon soaking up much of the attention for itself.
- Gas prices hit four-year highs, AAA says
- Pakistan arrests serial killer suspect over rape, murder of girl, 7
- Larry Nassar sentenced to 40-175 years in prison
- Hickenlooper orders flag be lowered in honor of fallen Adams County deputy
- Ex-army chief of staff Sami Enan announces bid for presidential elections
- Boomer & Gio: It's Official, Pat Shurmur Is The Giants Head Coach
- Pence: Embassy will move to Jerusalem by end of 2019
- Netanyahu: No One but US Can Broker Israeli-Palestinian Peace Deal
- Former Cards coach Pitino potential candidate for NBA Bucks
- 5 people have died from the flu in TN this season