On the last day of the calendar year, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" has surpassed "Beauty and the Beast" as the top grossing film in North America in 2017.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is now playing in theaters. Now, over five years later with three movies completed, Disney has earned back its investment. This, of course, does not include the millions of dollars Disney spent on production and marketing for the movies or the percentage that goes to movie theaters.
This weekend, The Last Jedi also crossed $1 billion worldwide, for an estimated global total of $1.04 billion through Sunday.
LEGO Star Wars 75201 First Order AT-ST is available now in the United Kingdom, exclusively at Argos. It also does not factor in the sales from merchandising and other side revenues. This means that one of the core messages of "Star Wars" is to set aside racial diversity for a noble goal.
At the domestic box office, however, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is close behind The Last Jedi, earning second place with an estimated $50.6 million. So, Disney has always been making money off of Star Wars but it's still an impressive benchmark for the movies.
Finally, there's Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which will probably finish somewhere between the total earnings of The Force Awakens and Rogue One. According to the rumor, Lucasfilm executives made a decision to write off Luke in The Last Jedi during the film's post-production process, keeping the character's death from Hamill. That is the fifth largest opening in box office history.
The eighth installment of the "Star Wars" franchise became the highest grossing film in the USA for 2017 over the New Year's weekend, beating out "Beauty and the Beast".
If you're a box-office nerd like me, you know that the movie's box-office haul this week is actually bigger than what it pulled in during its debut weekend, and for the record, that hardly ever happens.
- 9 dead after gunmen attack Egypt church in terror attack
- Conte On Stoke Visit, Top 4 Target; Hazard, Courtois Exit Talks
- Scientists Slam Trump Tweet on 'Good Old Global Warming'
- Court rules against Gresham bakers in same-sex wedding cake case
- 'MAKE AMERICA GAY AGAIN' - Rainbow flag hung near Mike Pence's vacation home
- Three Rockets Fired into Southern Israel; Israel Stikes Hamas Facilities in Gaza
- Travis Scott 'splits' from 'pregnant' Kylie Jenner
- Steve Jobs Jeans Wins Apple Lawsuit Because Letters Aren't Fruit
- Lions torch Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix for long touchdown
- Turkey, Russia sign loan deal for S-400 air system