After several set piece attempts in which the Dutchman spurned two golden chances to put his side ahead, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain put the ball on Van Dijk's head for a third time on a 84 minute corner, with the 6'4 defender rising above all else to power past a flailing Jordan Pickford and stamp his name in the annals of Liverpool debuts. "To score a goal is even more special".
In a typically high-octane derby, Wayne Rooney picked up an early booking for a crude tackle on Joe Gomez and was substituted in the 52nd for his own good, moments after escaping a second yellow card for shoving Emre Can. Still, a penalty was awarded and Milner deftly clipped the ball down the middle.
Everton manager Sam Allardyce was more positive with his approach than the fixture last month, although the visitors found Liverpool's defence, marshalled by Van Dijk, resilient and were unable to register a shot on target in the first half.
Liverpool hasn't lost to Everton in 16 matches - a club record - and Everton's winless run at the home of its great rival extended to 21 games, dating back to 1999.
As news has just broke regarding Philippe Coutinho's imminent transfer to Barcelona for a reported fee of around £142m after add-ons, Liverpool fans should take some solace in the fact that Van Dijk looked so confident in his debut, let alone the fact that the £75m deal for the center back was finally completed; a testament to Jurgen Klopp's resiliency and resolve.
"In front of the Kop, makes it even better".
- Four policemen killed in Sopore IED blast
- Trump postpones his fake "Fake News Awards"
- Chiefs collapse late, fall to Titans 22-21 in playoff opener
- 5 national-level powerlifters killed in road mishap
- Real Madrid loses Ramos for injury
- Third floor of Mumbai Sessions court charred in fire, no casualties
- NDSU ends JMU 26-game winning streak for sixth FCS Championship
- Brad Pitt Bid $120000 to Watch 'Game of Thrones' With Emilia Clarke
- Trump seeks $18 billion to extend border wall over 10 years
- Falcons vs. Rams: Odds, Stat Predictions for 2018 NFC Wild-Card Game