As a broader minimum wage increase for NY workers goes into effect Sunday, fast-food workers in the state will be getting a raise, too.
"This is the fourth time that the Fine Gael-led Government has introduced an increase to the minimum wage since it was cut in 2010".
The minimum wage for those over the age of 25 is now £7.50 an hour.
People who work for smaller companies (those with less than 11 employees), will receive a $12 per hour minimum wage, an increase from their $10.50 wage. The increase will be phased in over a longer period for workers in the rest of the state.
Some cities in the Bay Area will have an increase in wages that will be higher.
The voter-approved law originally required tipped employees like waiters and waitresses to make minimum wage regardless of how much they made in tips.
The statewide minimum wage will increase to $15 an hour for other workers, but on a different schedule than the one established for fast-food employees.
Horrigan said phasing in the increases will be beneficial to businesses as it allows them to adapt.
Todd Tranum, the Chautauqua County Chamber of Commerce President, expressed his concerns as well. The disparity in pay is so great that those at the bottom of the wage ladder could be earning an additional £5.24 per hour if their pay had risen at the same rate over the last 20 years as the pay of FTSE 100 chief executives.
The new figure will be set at €9.55 per hour - an increase of 30c per hour. "Additionally, more costs and regulations make NY less competitive with other regions in terms of economic growth".
- Three Rockets Fired into Southern Israel; Israel Stikes Hamas Facilities in Gaza
- Trump slams China over reported North Korea oil sales: 'Caught RED HANDED'
- Scientists Slam Trump Tweet on 'Good Old Global Warming'
- George Weah Unveils Agenda For Liberia
- Steve Jobs Jeans Wins Apple Lawsuit Because Letters Aren't Fruit
- Beloved Atlanta TV Anchor Dies of Stroke While at Airport
- 9 dead after gunmen attack Egypt church in terror attack
- Travis Scott 'splits' from 'pregnant' Kylie Jenner
- TaxSlayer Bowl: Lamar Jackson's mistake-filled day leads to Mississippi State win
- When will Doug Jones be sworn in to the US Senate?