United also got good news regarding Romelu Lukaku, as the Belgian worldwide will be fit and available to play after suffering a scary blow to the head against Southampton on December 30.
United still lacked inspiration after the break, so manager Jose Mourinho introduced strikers Lukaku and Anthony Martial off the bench for Mkhitaryan and Mata. The top two teams in the Championship table at the end of the season are promoted to the Premier League, while the third-sixth place teams compete in a playoff for the final spot.
This match could've been seen as a last chance for Henrikh Mkhitaryan to fight for his place, playing in his favoured central position against lower league opposition, but once again he didn't have the best of halves.
"But when you get past 80 minutes and the goal hasn't come, you fear the second match".
The barrage continued and Pogba wastefully side-footed wide with the goal gaping when following up Lingard's saved effort, before Derby finally yielded with six minutes to play.
Lukaku was next to head wide on 55 minutes, before Thomas Lawrence forced a diving save from Romero.
It looked set that Mourinho's men were going have have to travel to Pride Park for an unwanted replay with seven minutes to go, but the hottest man now on the block at Old Trafford had other ideas.
While United progress to the fourth round, Derby can be proud of an impressive display on the night.
- Telegram Introduces Multiple Account Switching On Android
- Samsung Galaxy A8 Pre-orders to Begin Tomorrow
- GDP growth estimated at 6.5%
- All Mariah Carey Wanted For New Years Eve Was Some Tea
- Tesla Model 3 deliveries fall short, production target delayed again
- MPs Want a 'Latter Levy' to Cut Down on Disposable Cup Waste
- U.S. won't recognize North-South talks without denuclearization
- 'Game Of Thrones' Will Officially Return In 2019 With Season 8
- 2 total eclipses of the Moon in 2018
- Khloé Kardashian Has Revealed Her Baby Name Plans!