gamezna.com
gamezna.com February 25, 2018

Main » Hostages taken as four gunmen storm Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul

Hostages taken as four gunmen storm Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul

21 January 2018

Armed insurgents stormed Kabul's largest hotel Saturday, setting off an explosion and sparking a fire, trapping an unknown number of hotel guests inside, Afghan officials confirmed.

Although details are unclear, ministry spokesman Najib Danish said that the attackers included suicide bombers.

There's no immediate reports of injuries and no group has claimed responsibility yet.

Suicide bombers were believed to be among the attackers.

Afghan officials say that a top hotel in Kabul came under militant attack Saturday night.

The state-owned hotel was the target of a Taliban attack in 2011 that left 21 people dead, including nine attackers.


It is one of Kabul's two main luxury hotels and had been due to host an information technology conference on Sunday.

The officials told RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan that the assailants were exchanging fire with Afghan security forces.

According to one witness, who did not want to be named, the attackers took some hotel staff and guests hostage. The Department said it had received reports of "extremist groups" planning a hotel attack in the capital, "such as [on] the Hotel Baron near Hamid Karzai Int'l Airport".

Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab, who managed to escape unhurt, said the attackers had got into the main part of the hotel through a kitchen and people fled amid bursts of gunfire on all sides.

They are shooting at guests, ' an official at the National Directorate of Security (NDS) spy agency told AFP.

The State Department said it was monitoring the situation and was in contact with Afghan authorities to determine whether any USA citizens had been affected.

Hostages taken as four gunmen storm Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul