The social media giant, last year, also tested products to connect its users to local news.
One of the project's most important mandates is combating fake news, and the promotion of legitimate local news sources appears to be part of this battle (Facebook is vetting local news publishers who will end up in the section).
The product, called "Today In" is only available on the Facebook mobile app and is being tested in six USA cities: New Orleans, LA; Little Rock, AR; Billings, MT; Peoria, IL; Olympia, WA; Binghamton, NY.
There's no word yet on when the feature will roll out to all US cities.
The feature is being tested initially across six U.S. cities: New Orleans, Louisiana; Little Rock, Arkansas; Billings, Montana; Peoria, Illinois; Olympia, Washington and Binghamton, New York.
Content creation in this section is attributed to machine learning software used by Facebook.
The move comes as part of Facebook's Journalism Project announced in January a year ago to curb the spread of fake news on its platform and build out local news partnerships.
The company will expand the "Today In" feature in other cities too.
This features is launched after the company has faced fake news issue.
As reported by Recode, the feature combines events, announcements, and local news items specific to a particular city. "This tactic, known as "engagement bait", seeks to take advantage of our News Feed algorithm by boosting engagement in order to get greater reach", explained Henry Silverman, operations integrity specialist at Facebook".
It will include community updates, group discussions and local events, along with a local news component.
- Google Acquires Company With Tech That Turns Displays Into Speakers
- Signs pointing to Matt Patricia as Giants coach
- BlackBerry Mobile to unveil at least two new phones in 2018
- OJ Simpson Has Addressed The Rumour He's Khloe Kardashian's Actual Father
- Harvey Weinstein slapped, insulted at Arizona resort
- Winter Weather in Green Country Tip Sheet
- Khloe Kardashian Displays Her Own Workout Advice: 'Aim Small'
- NY state lawmaker charged with fraud, obstructing justice
- Dark Souls Remastered announced for PC, Switch, Xbox One, and PS4
- Yankees not out of the Gerrit Cole hunt yet