Police say a woman who worked at a Penn State satellite campus near Pittsburgh apparently has been shot dead by her estranged husband in a university parking lot and he has killed himself.
The school is on lockdown and activities have been canceled for the rest of the day.
Johnston-Smith said that the victims were a man and a woman and that police were investigating the shooting as a domestic violence situation, with police believing that the man shot the woman and then himself.
The shooting is thought to have been a murder/suicide situation.
Troopers said an employee of the school was shot and killed near her auto by her estranged husband, who then fatally turned the gun on himself. This was never an "active shooter" event.
Multiple ambulances were responding to the scene. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the first 911 calls came from the school at 3:38 p.m. local time.
"This is finals week so we don't have as many students on campus as we typically would", Johnston-Smith commented.
This is a breaking story so stay tuned for updates.
- Red Kettle campaign delivers needed hand up
- Korean journalists ahead of Moon-Xi summit
- Carson Wentz Injury: Eagles Confirm QB Tore ACL, Ending MVP Candidate's Season
- Twitter finally has an official thread tool for those serial tweets
- Crytek Sues Star Citizen Studio
- Injustice 2 Time-Limited Free Trial Begins December 14
- Guterres warns against 'sleepwalking' into war over North Korea
- Desperate Bony set for Swansea City's clash with Manchester City
- All the new features coming to Google Maps
- One dead in Austrian pipeline blast