But, he does feel that a debate around a film only leads to loss. Theatre owners are also scared because they don't want violence and stone-pelting outside their theatres.
The actor was in conversation with senior journalist Shekhar Gupta at the HT Leadership Summit here.
Sanjay Leela Bhansali seems to have offended quite a few people, and Salman is the latest addition to the list.
With protests against Padmavati refusing to die down and after the body of a young man was found hanging from a Jaipur fort, the producers deferred the film's release until 2018.
"I gave him two hits but he still chose Shah Rukh Khan for Devdas", he said, on a lighter note.
On a more serious note, the actor said although one must respect people's sentiments, calling for a ban on a film without even watching it was unfair.
Other panel members reportedly grilled Bhansali, and said his movies tend to target communities and produced tension between them, NDTV reported. The director was also asked how a print of the film had reached the United Kingdom and the consequences of a possible leak on the internet. Bhansali explained that it was just shown to eight persons including two media personalities and his close friends; however he has now assured that the film will not be screened elsewhere until it is certified by the censor board, reports The Hindu.
As the movie "Padmavati" is already in the headlines and has become a serious issue with so much happening around the film, the bhaijaan of the Bollywood industry superstar finds it hard to decide what is wrong and what is right? We have got detailed views of the government and CBFC.
In the midst of a raging controversy over his film Padmavati, its director Sanjay Leela Bhansali on Thursday appeared before a Parliamentary committee and maintained that the row over his yet-to-be released movie was just based on rumours, strongly rejecting criticism that he had distorted historical facts about the 16th century Rajput queen.
- Arrest made in Mariah Woods disappearance; missing girl believed to be deceased
- National search underway for missing 3-year-old
- Oil prices fall over 1% on pre-OPEC decision volatility
- Google Datally Android app gives fine-grained mobile data control
- Justin Thomas has a warning for Tiger Woods ahead of his comeback
- Chinese actress Liu Yifei to play Hua Mulan
- Florida teen Caitlyn Frisina found safe in NY
- Cyclone Ockhi on way to Kerala, TN
- Belarus PM off to Sochi for SCO Heads of Government Council meeting
- Oklahoma, Louisiana leading nation in flu cases