Poursina says, given how severe the flu season is projected to be this year, he is strongly encouraging everyone to get the flu shot, regardless of its effectiveness.
The Oklahoma State Department of Health reported that two people older than 65 have died of influenza. The vaccine that the Australians received was only 10 percent effective.
The vaccine this year may not offer much protection at all.
Elizabeth Scott and her son, Anderson, get a flu shot every year, but she knows that it's not always helpful. That could eliminate the need for people to get new flu shots each year. When someone gets sick, they mistakenly believe the vaccine was the cause. Flu viruses typically circulate widely into the spring months, and it isn't clear if the early start will mean an early end or a long season. He adds that avoiding public places during an outbreak, staying home from school or work when you are ill, and covering your mouth if you sneeze is key to reducing the spread of the virus. "I really stay away from saying "we should be anxious about this" or 'we should be anxious about that, ' because the flu itself, and seasonal intensity, always has a degree of unpredictability about it", he explains to Bustle.
Navarrette still suggests getting your flu shot to protect yourself and your family.
"The risk of having mild fever from the flu shot or even achiness from the shot itself is less of a complication compared to being put in the hospital for pneumonia", Hare said. Getting vaccinated may also help protect people around you who have a greater risk of serious illness, such as elderly people, patients with chronic conditions, pregnant women and young children.
"Getting the flu is an bad experience".
MYTH 5: Flu vaccines are only for really sick people.
To create a vaccine for each flu strain, manufacturers grow billions of WHO-selected viruses in chicken eggs, STAT reports.
- 'Fear The Walking Dead' Season 4 Adds 'Walking Dead' Star Lennie James
- War criminal dies after drinking poison in United Nations court
- Mixed results for Black Friday footfall
- BYU Women's Volleyball: Lucky 13 again for Cougars in NCAA Tournament
- Tuesday marks the sixth year of the Giving Tuesday Holiday
- Justin Thomas has a warning for Tiger Woods ahead of his comeback
- Explore Kobolds & Catacombs on December 7!
- USA plane INTERCEPTED by fighter jet close to Russian border
- First lady goes with classic, traditional Christmas decor
- Cyber Monday Becomes 'Mobile Monday' With $6.5 Billion Revenue Haul