While Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi held a poll rally in Anjar but his three rallies in Morbi, Dhrangadhra and Surendranagar were cancelled due to the impending cyclone. Fishermen have been warned not to go out into the sea off these coasts on these days otherwise the result may be disastrous. Schools and colleges were shut.
Rains driven by Cyclone Ochki have lashed several parts of coastal Konkan in Maharashtra, including Mumbai, throwing normal life out of gear. Along with Gujarat, Maharashtra, too, is on high alert. The country's financial capital also experienced showers on Monday night.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said he is constantly monitoring the situation in various states arising out of cyclone Ockhi battering parts of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Lakshadweep islands and now heading towards Gujarat.
He tweeted to inform that he has spoken to all relevant authorities and officials and that all possible assistance is being provided to those affected.
"Heavy rainfall is likely at a few places with squally wind speed reaching 50 to 60 kms per hour gusting to 70 kms per hour very likely along coastal area in next 24 hours", the IMD said in its report.
Several districts in Gujarat received light rain since Tuesday morning, even as nearly the entire State saw overcast skies. Meanwhile, Mumbai Disaster Management unit of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has issued an advisory against visiting the beaches today and tomorrow, as the cyclone is expected to hit the coast of Maharashtra within the next 48 hours.
- McMaster: Potential for war with North Korea 'increasing every day'
- Asus NovaGo, world's first gigabit LTE laptop launched, price starts at $599
- Apple Pay Cash Launches in the USA; Canadians Can Only Dream
- Germany's SPD denies agreeing coalition talks with Angela Merkel
- Netflix Has Renewed Stranger Things For A Third Season
- Manchester United fans are getting excited about Agent P again
- Apple strikes interim deal on escrow fund for $15B Irish tax claim
- Rep. Conyers announces he's retiring, endorses son to fill seat
- One killed, several injured after auto plows into pedestrians in NYC
- Mauricio Pellegrino hails Nathan Redmond's impact as Southampton draw