At the height of the morning commute Monday, an Amtrak passenger train jumped its tracks and spilled off an overpass in Washington state.
Survivor Chris Karnes said the train had passed the city of DuPont when he heard "rocking and creaking".
MultiCare Health System, a local network of medical centers, says that 22 people involved in the crash have been hospitalized at three of their facilities.
Police said five vehicles and two trucks were hit on the highway.
The National Transportation Safety Board, for its part, says it is opening an investigation into the incident and sending a team to the site Monday.
It said the injured people were receiving treatment at Good Samaritan Hospital, Allenmore Hospital ad Tacoma General Hospital in the Pierce County, Washington State on the US west coast.
"The next thing we know, we're being slammed into the front of our seats, windows are breaking, we stop, and there's water gushing out of the train".
A footage of a local TV showed that at least one rail auto fell off a bridge over a traffic-clogged highway.
Emergency crews respond to the scene of a train derailment in Washington state, December 18, 2017. "We got off after shooting the video".
"We will do everything in our power to support our passengers and crew and their families", Anderson said.
The $181 million Point Defiance Bypass project had been in the works for more than a decade. The trains were expected to reach speeds of 79 miles (127 kilometers) per hour through the densely populated area with the improved systems and track. "I'm not sure what happened at this juncture".
Earlier this month, Don Anderson, the mayor of the town of Lakewood, which lies along the new route, had warned that the rails were dangerously close to highways and pedestrian crossings.
President Donald Trump called for infrastructure investments in the wake of Monday morning's fatal Amtrak crash in Dupont, Wash. Seven trillion dollars spent in the Middle East while our roads, bridges, tunnels, railways (and more) crumble!
"We're praying for everyone on board the train, and ask everyone to hold them in your thoughts", Washington Gov. Jay Inslee tweeted, adding his thanks to first responders on the scene - and a warning to motorists to avoid the "ongoing and serious emergency".
At the time, analysts said positive train control technology could have prevented the accident.
- The Salvation Army receives gold and silver worth more than $6100
- Rudy Gobert will miss 1 month with knee injury, per report
- Rejuvenated Real Madrid eye fifth prize of 2017
- Colin Kaepernick wants in on Panthers ownership
- Putin calls to thank Trump for Central Intelligence Agency tip that prevented terror attack
- USA blames North Korea for major cyber attack
- First Women's Rumble Match Announced For WWE Royal Rumble
- Donald Trump holds phone call with Vladimir Putin over North Korea crisis
- Injured, Dozens Stranded In Pennsylvania Ski Lift Accident
- Lions Become Rockettes For Christmas-Themed Touchdown Celebration