As a result, McCain will not be in Washington to vote on the GOP's tax bill vote, which is expected to take place early in the week.
Republicans hold a slim 52-48 advantage in the Senate, and McCain and Sen. The GOP is likely to have enough Republicans to pass the measure.
"Thank you to everyone for their kind words", she wrote. "My father is doing well and we are all looking forward to spending Christmas together in Arizona", she tweeted Sunday afternoon.
McCain had spent several days last week at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland recovering from side effects stemming from chemotherapy treatment for brain cancer.
"The senator has been through a round of chemo and he was hospitalized this week at Walter Reed", said Ben Domenech, a conservative writer and husband of Meghan McCain. "I'm feeling well & looking forward to returning to work after the holidays".
Last week, sources in the Senate told CNN they were anxious about McCain recently, following a week when the Arizona Republican was kept from the Senate to address side effects from his brain cancer treatment.
Earlier in the day, President Donald Trump told reporters he had spoken to McCain's wife, Cindy.
"He'll come if we ever need him to vote", Trump said.
"He's going through a very tough time, there's no question about that", Trump said.
In its statement on Sunday, McCain's office provided an assessment from Dr. Mark Gilbert, chief of neuro-oncology at the National Institutes of Health's National Cancer Institute. "An evaluation of his underlying cancer shows he is responding positively to ongoing treatment". Dems demand Tillerson end State hiring freeze, consult with Congress MORE (R-Ariz.) will return to Washington in January after undergoing physical therapy and rehabilitation in Arizona, his office announced late Sunday. The statement says the senator appreciates the outpouring of support from people around the country.
McCain is expected to return to Washington in January.
- French data protection orders WhatsApp to stop sharing user data with Facebook
- Twitter Suspends Trump's Favorite Alt-Right Islamophobic Retweet Account
- Lane Kiffin, FAU Reportedly Agree on 10-Year Contract Extension
- Lady Gaga finalizing deal for Las Vegas residency
- Putin calls to thank Trump for Central Intelligence Agency tip that prevented terror attack
- Trump says he's not planning to fire special counsel Robert Mueller
- Multiple deaths as train derails over Washington state highway
- Colin Kaepernick wants in on Panthers ownership
- Injured, Dozens Stranded In Pennsylvania Ski Lift Accident
- Donald Trump holds phone call with Vladimir Putin over North Korea crisis