The Democratic leaders said, "Right now, Congressional committees continue to be deeply engaged in investigations into the President's actions both before and after his inauguration".
Green's new eight-page resolution accuses the Republican president of "high misdemeanors", citing "harm to American society to the manifest injury of the people of the United States". All Republicans opposed the motion, along with 126 Democrats. Green argues that Trump has committed a high misdeed and is unfit to be president and warrants impeachment, trial and removal from office.
However, Republicans in the House will easily table the symbolic vote, according to the website.
The resolution offered by Green states that Trump has sown discord among the people of the USA based on national origin and race.
Democratic Rep. Al Green of Texas says Trump has associated his presidency with causes rooted in bigotry and racism.
The White House quickly dismissed the impeachment effort, labeling Green and his allies "extremists".
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said that while Trump has made several statements and taken actions "that are beyond the pale for most Americans", it was important to allow congressional committees probing Russian meddling in the U.S. election and possible Trump campaign collusion to proceed with their work.
The House has to approve the articles of impeachment by a simple majority before they would move on to the Senate. The leaders said Congressional inquiries and Robert Mueller's investigation into connections between Trump's campaign and Russian Federation should be allowed to continue.
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Minority Whip Steny Hoyer tell Democrats: "Now is not the time to consider articles of impeachment".
"We ought to let Mr. Mueller complete his full investigation rather than engage in what would essentially be a public relations stunt", said Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich).
- LiAngelo Ball Is Leaving UCLA Without Having Played a Game
- PwC investigates accounting irregularities at Steinhoff
- Canada's jobless rate hits lowest since 2008 as hiring spikes
- December supermoon dazzles in morning sky
- Two Georgia football players arrested in Barrow County
- Asus NovaGo, world's first gigabit LTE laptop launched, price starts at $599
- The first billionaires of Bitcoin are twins!
- Chabahar port phase-I opens, to boost India-Iran trade
- Apple strikes interim deal on escrow fund for $15B Irish tax claim
- African air travel growth spikes, outpacing strong global recovery