Dr. Brad Archer at RCRH says people should not be alarmed by the vaccine's low effectiveness rate this year.
Kelly McPhatter, public health nurse at the Grey Bruce Health Unit, said the dominant strain of Influenza A this season is H3N2. Most people with RSV recover on their own in a couple weeks, but infants and young children, people with asthma and older adults are at higher risk for developing a more severe form of the virus. "What we're trying to is encourage people who have strong immune systems especially to get the influenza vaccination, because their ability to fight the flu and not have it will decrease transmission".
"Connecticut this week just reported its first case of a death related to influenza in the state, so it certainly can have pretty severe consequences", said UConn Health Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases Dr. Kevin Dieckhaus.
There's a lot of misinformation out there about the flu vaccine.
And if you do get sick, stay home and rest.
"They can go, here at the health department", said Roberts.
Get more information about the flu from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services at this link. She developed the flu and was treated with Tamiflu.
On the whole, flu symptoms are more intense than those caused by the common cold. But, recent reports say this year's flu vaccine is only 10 percent effective.
Patel said the overseas continent studied by the federal Centers for Disease Control more than any other is probably Australia.
Data from the CDC's interactive flu-tracking site show cases of people falling ill with "influenza-like illnesses" (ILI) are more widespread than in previous years.
In addition to getting the flu vaccine, there are other things that you can do in order to protect your health.
Signs and symptoms of the flu include fever, headache, extreme tiredness, dry cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, and muscle aches.
"I think that just reflects who gets swabbed", Shahab said.
And while flu activity is increasing, the worst may be yet to come.
McPhatter said it's hard to say at this point when the number of flu cases will peak in Grey-Bruce.
"We want to protect our family, friends and community from illness during this special time of year and throughout the winter months when the risk for influenza is typically the greatest", said TDH Commissioner John Dreyzehner, MD, MPH.
A flu shot contains either an inactive flu virus (that can not infect you) or no flu virus at all.
- Apple Inc Acquires Music Identification App Shazam For $400 Million
- Former Ole Miss quarterback Shea Patterson announces transfer to MI
- Arsene Wenger admits he is anxious by Arsenal's defensive anxiety
- West Ham's spirit key to continuing resurgence - Zabaleta
- Trump Suggests Firing Journalist After His Apologies Over 'Fake' Photo
- Geminid meteors peak Wednesday and they could be wonderful !
- Saakashvili Freed, Marched Home By Supporters
- Do aliens exist? NASA likely to make big revelation this week
- Israel demolishes tunnel 'belonging to Hamas' from Gaza into its territory
- Google Brings Augmented Reality Stickers App to Pixel & Pixel 2 Devices