Before Question Time and the legalisation of same-sex marriage was passed, Bill Shorten asked Malcolm Turnbull if Question Time can be abandoned to allow for the quicker passage of same-sex marriage legislation.
As the proceedings unfolded in parliament #MarriageEquality began trending in top spot worldwide.
The Bill was opposed by only four members.
Liberal MP Tim Wilson has just proposed to his long-time partner, Ryan, during the same-sex marriage debate in Parliament.
Among them was Christine Forster, the gay sister of Tony Abbott, the former Australian Prime Minister who has always been seen as the face of the "no" campaign.
"In my first speech I defined our bond by the ring that sits on both of our left hands, and they are the answer to a question we can not ask", an emotional Wilson said, referring to the first time he addressed the Parliament a year ago.
Forster was joined in the public gallery by her partner, Virginia Edwards.
"These amendments are important and I stress they are not against same-sex marriage, they are simply in favor of the rights of religious organizations to keep doing what they're doing", Abbott said.
"We thank all Australians for their support for saying yes, we thank all those who have campaigned for many years, for over 10 years, for fairness and equality".
The House of Representatives is holding its final two-week session of the year, which is giving priority to lifting the ban on same-sex marriage in Australia. In November the results of a forced but not binding postal plebiscite of Australians found over 60 percent support the right of same-sex couples to marry.
The ACT government, meanwhile, has promised to waive the marriage certificate fees for around 80 couples who were married when the territory briefly legalised same-sex marriage in 2013.
- The first billionaires of Bitcoin are twins!
- Amazon Prime Launches In Singapore, Subscription Starts From $2.99/Month
- Rep. Conyers announces he's retiring, endorses son to fill seat
- IPL GC hikes player salary cap for franchises to Rs 80 crore
- Kim Kardashian Reignites Taylor Swift Feud with NSFW Pic & Fans Are MAD
- Chabahar port phase-I opens, to boost India-Iran trade
- Apple strikes interim deal on escrow fund for $15B Irish tax claim
- Mumbai rains: Schools, colleges closed as Cyclone Ockhi threat looms
- Jim Harbaugh Fires Back At Mark Dantonio
- Apple Pay Cash Launches in the USA; Canadians Can Only Dream