Baldanza said the Russian jet's movements were deemed unsafe because it forced the Navy plane to enter its jet wash, which caused it to experience "a 15-degree roll and violent turbulence".
Russian jet Su-30 crossed a front side of the P-8A Poseidon plane of the United States flying as near as 50 feet turning its afterburners on, according to a Pentagon spokeswoman, U.S. Lieutenant Colonel Michelle Baldanza.
On Saturday, a U.S. Navy P-8A Poseidon was flying in worldwide airspace over the Black Sea when it was intercepted by a Russian SU-30, Eucom spokeswoman Meghan Henderson said. It is reported that the incident lasted for around 24 minutes.
A U.S. RC-135U flying in global airspace over the Baltic Sea is intercepted by a Russian Su-27 Flanker on June 19, 2017. During the last months, similar incidents were registered in the zone of the Baltic Sea and near the Russian western enclave of Kaliningrad, in the Kamchatka peninsula, near the US state of Alaska and in other regions.
In June, an armed Russian Su-27 fighter jet intercepted a U.S. RC-135 reconnaissance plane over the Baltic Sea, coming as close as five feet.
In a statement, the Russian defence ministry said: "After moving closer, the Russian fighter jet flew over the object and visually identified it was an American reconnaissance aircraft P8A Poseidon".
"The US aircraft was operating in global airspace and did nothing to provoke this Russian behavior", Lt. Col. Michelle Baldanza, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said to CNN.
- Broncos and Raiders brawl in Oakland
- Trump criticizes CNN for 'representing USA poorly to the world'
- Istanbul holds rally saying "no" to violence against women
- Liverpool FC need to set Premier League targets: Jurgen Klopp
- 'Fear The Walking Dead' Season 4 Adds 'Walking Dead' Star Lennie James
- John Wall to miss two weeks after undergoing treatment on knee injury
- Media firm backed by Koch brothers buys Time magazine
- In "Black Friday" buyers of Apple technology will receive gifts
- Conyers Says He'll 'Step Aside' From Judiciary Panel Amid Harassment Claims
- BYU Women's Volleyball: Lucky 13 again for Cougars in NCAA Tournament