The three aircraft carriers are expected to link up in the Sea of Japan later this week off the Korean Peninsula, a US defense official tells Fox News.
The exercises come after the US and South Korea in their recent annual meeting on defensive policy agreed to expand the rotational deployment of strategic American military assets such as aircraft carriers, submarines and bombers to the peninsula.
The military drills come as tensions remain sky-high as US President Donald Trump visits the region with the nuclear threat from North Korea dominating discussions.
Nuclear-armed North Korea regularly denounces such military drills as rehearsals for invasion and sometimes conducts its own military manoeuvres or missile tests in response.
It's the first time since 2007 that three United States carrier strike groups are operating together in the Western Pacific.
The exercise aims to improve the two countries' ability to carry out cooperated operations through air operations, air artillery strikes and aircraft carrier escorts.
Pyongyang detonated its sixth and most powerful nuclear bomb in September after months of ballistic missile tests that riled Washington and its allies Japan and South Korea.
The drills are reportedly the first of their kind since the three carrier strike groups conducted the Valiant Shield exercise off the coast of Guam in 2006 and 2007.
Show of force coincides with US President Trump's visit to AsiaThis weekend, three American aircraft carriers will be carrying out joint exercises in the waters around the Korean Peninsula.
The carriers, already operating in the Western Pacific, will sail one by one into the waters east of Korea for the event, it added.
South Korea's military announced its participation on Friday. The last time such a convergence of military power occurred was in 2007 in waters off the U.S. territory of Guam.
- More than 100000 people petition Pennsylvania to free Meek Mill
- PNG warns it will use force to empty Australia refugee camp
- Twitter Has a White-Nationalist Verification Problem
- Kevin Spacey dropped from film after fresh sexual allegations
- Celebrities React to Taylor Swift's 'Reputation' - See Their Posts!
- Louis CK Accused of Masturbating in Front of Women
- Ivory Coast wanted Bakayoko to represent them over France
- Toying with danger? Some fidget spinners may have 'toxic' lead levels
- The Ninja Turtles Are Coming to Injustice 2
- Want to try the OnePlus 5T before anyone else?