Detectives believe the collapse was caused by too much jumping. Denton paramedics treated seven people at the scene for minor injuries but didn't take anyone to the hospital by ambulance. The junior at the University of North Texas said he was dancing when the collapse occurred and also fell into the apartment below.
Police said videos posted to social media show party-goers jumping up and down when the floor gave way and collapsed into the second-floor apartment.
Abiola Busari, the student who was hosting the homecoming celebration, told WFAA-TV that the party got out of hand when people he didn't know showed up.
"I have nowhere to go".
Students at the University of North Texas in Denton gathered at a third-floor apartment to celebrate homecoming Saturday night.
CBS DFW said the nightmare for students began at around 1:45 a.m. Sunday when the Denton Fire Departments responded to a report of a fire alarm.
Carroll and her roommates are not the only ones affected.
Police estimate there were 100 people at the party.
Another student, Davion Keys, said the water pipes busted when the floor collapsed.
"We've called and said, 'It looks like the ceiling is going to cave in, ' so I feel like with us saying that, there could've been more that was done", said Carroll.
The Ridge at North Texas lists itself online as "a student-only community located in Denton, Texas, which serves the students of the University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University, and North Central Texas College". Police say those type of calls are low priority in nature and people have usually left the party by the time officers arrive.
- Israel downs Syrian drone over Golan
- Penn State football gets a late afternoon kickoff for senior day
- Saudi-led blockade could 'starve and kill' millions in Yemen
- Twitter Has a White-Nationalist Verification Problem
- Score predictions for Georgia-Auburn, Notre Dame-Miami, 20 other games
- Republicans: Moore should drop out if allegations are true
- DeShone Kizer leaves Browns vs. Lions game with injury
- Twitter Doubles Character Limit to 280, Says Longer Tweets Drive More Engagement
- Ivory Coast wanted Bakayoko to represent them over France
- IPhone X users reporting 'crackling' sounds from earpiece speaker