Students also were shot and wounded at an elementary school.
The family finally found help from Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston, who was able to secure medial assistance for the dying woman and her wounded children. Investigators believe that the shooting death of Neal's wife marked the beginning of his rampage.
The mother - who spoke on the condition she be named only as Anne because she fears for her safety - said her son told her the neighbor was slightly cut after Neal grabbed a steak knife out of the hand of the neighbor who was threatening him with it. When the shooter moved on to the next room, students who had remained under their desks were told to run back to the office with others, but one child wasn't moving, Ferreira said.
Gage huddled with his classmates when his school was put on lockdown Tuesday and listened to the gunman fire his weapon outside.
He said his father, who was on the homeowners" association board, was threatened in the late "80s and early '90s during a dispute with a neighbor and deputies never responded.
The gunman was fatally shot by authorities, but not before he managed to kill five people - including his wife - and injure dozens more. The day before the shootings, he had been the subject of a domestic violence call.
"Most people in the United States do what courts order them to do", Roy said.
'It's a really sad day' for a small, rural community.
The gunman's sister, Sheridan Orr, said her brother had struggled with mental illness throughout his life and at times had a violent temper. He told her something was happening near the school. "That hurt my heart a lot to hear her say that".
One of the bullet holes is seen in an exterior wall at the Rancho Tehama Elementary School, Nov. 15, 2017, from a shooting rampage at Rancho Tehama Reserve, Calif.
Phommathep was shot four times in her left shoulder, and for a fifth time in her hip.
On Tuesday morning, Phommathep was dropping off three of her four children at school.
Police said surveillance video shows the shooter unsuccessfully trying to enter the school after quick-thinking staff members locked the outside doors and barricaded themselves inside when they heard gunshots.
The gunman who went on a shooting spree in Northern California began by killing his wife inside their home, raising the death toll from the attack to five.
- Danica finishing career in the Indy 500 is fitting, says IMS president
- Manhunt On For Baltimore Cop Killer After Homicide Detective Dies In Hospital
- George Clooney to Direct, Star in 'Catch-22' Limited Series
- Want a Longer Leash on Life? Get a Dog
- Abercrombie & Fitch: Q3 GAAP net income increases to 0.15 dollar
- South Carolina Women's Hoops Teams Turns Down White House Invitation
- Trump Puts Big-Game Trophy Decision on Hold
- Miami Dolphins QB Jay Cutler leaves game with possible concussion
- Saudis, allies discuss Iran ahead of Arab League meeting
- Trump Continues Attacks On Father Of Basketball Player