SC won the 2017 Women's NCAA Tournament, but isn't going to the White House.
OU's national champions in men's golf, men's and women's gymnastics, and softball all visited the White House and got to meet the president and pose for pictures.
The Gamecocks now join a growing list of recent sports teams to not make the customary White House stop after winning championships.
Staley said after her team won the NCAA title in April that it would go to the White House if invited because "it's what it stands for".
The University of SC women's basketball team is declining an invitation from President Trump to celebrate their 2017 NCAA championship win at the White House.
The White House says NCAA teams will attend a reception at the executive mansion, but it did not provide a list of the teams attending.
USC released a statement from Dawn Staley on the matter Thursday night following the Gamecocks 66-36 win over Clemson. "We haven't gotten an invitation yet and that in itself speaks volumes", she told the AP. "I don't know what else has to happen". "We'll go to the White House".
When South Carolina's invitation to Friday's White House event finally did arrive earlier this month, Staley declined it.
SC has a game on Sunday, with a practice scheduled for Friday. No. 4 SC will host Wofford on Sunday. Trump rescinded an invitation to the Golden State Warriors this summer after many prominent players on the team publicly expressed misgivings about appearing with Trump given their clashing political ideologies. She also defended her team's move. She simply said thanks but no thanks.
- Michigan QB Brandon Peters evaluated for head injury after Wisconsin loss
- AAA: More than 1.6M from MI plan Thanksgiving travel
- Hillary blasts Trump over sexual misconduct allegations
- George Clooney to Direct, Star in 'Catch-22' Limited Series
- Doping: Kremlin calls WADA's decision on Russian Federation 'unfair'
- Sunderland's hunt for manager continues amid Heckingbottom speculation
- Cold Front with High Winds Arrive Sunday
- Want a Longer Leash on Life? Get a Dog
- Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World beauty pageant crown for India
- Saudis, allies discuss Iran ahead of Arab League meeting