Over the course of a year, the self-driving shuttle aims at providing a quarter-million residents and visitors of Las Vegas with first-hand experience using autonomous vehicle (AV) technology, exposing most riders to the technology for the first time. City officials were quick to throw the human under the.shuttle as well, with one even going so far as to tell KSNV News that the whole thing could have been avoided "had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle has".
The driver was written up for illegal backing, according to reports.
"Unfortunately, the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle", read the statement.
Technology onboard the Vegas shuttle was developed by Navya. It was hit by an incoming delivery truck dispelling rumours that there was something wrong with self-driving algorithm used as the shuttle "did what it was supposed to do". Testing of the shuttle will continue during the 12-month pilot in the downtown Innovation District.
The future is headed to Las Vegas in the form of a driverless, electric bus that will begin shuttling passengers along a half-mile downtown route beginning Wednesday morning at 10 a.m.
Created to carry up to 15 people at a time, the shuttle has a max speed of 45km/h and has been created to be fully capable of driving on public roads.
Sponsored by the AAA, the shuttle, with seating for 8, will be operated by Keolis, a transportation operator that runs the Deuce double-decker buses on the Strip, and has established a relationship with Las Vegas and the Regional Transportation Commission.
The eight-seater vehicle, started as a pilot of Las Vegas' smart city infrastructure, experienced a minor collision after a delivery lorry reversed into it. The autonomous buses are the brainchild of French autonomous vehicle company Navya ARMA, which is teaming up with AAA and Keolis, the company that owns and operates the shuttle, to gauge passenger enthusiasm for the product.
- NRSC ends fundraising agreement with Roy Moore
- Mueller Probing Alleged Flynn Plan to Deliver Cleric to Turkey
- Twitter Has a White-Nationalist Verification Problem
- Hope Solo claims disgraced ex-FIFA head Sepp Blatter sexually assaulted her
- Republicans: Moore should drop out if allegations are true
- Revenge porn: Facebook wants nude photos
- Facebook Wants Your Nudes For Their New Anti-Revenge Porn Tool
- UCLA Basketball Players Held In China After Being Accused Of Stealing Sunglasses
- Terry Crews files police report about alleged groping by Hollywood executive
- 'Rare opportunity': Pentagon confirms joint drill of 3 aircraft carriers in Pacific