The Miss Universe pageant aired on Sunday night, crowning Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters as the victor out of over 90 contestants at the AXIS theater at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.
Finally, Miss Universe Demi Leigh Nel-Peters, from South Africa, stated, "You have to be confident in who you are as an individual".
Ninety-two women from around the world participated in the decades-old competition.
"Our nation is immensely proud of Ms. Leigh for this tremendous achievement". By proudly wearing her natural hair, she is doing just that, standing for the women of color who have had to deal with the rude comments, unnecessary stares, touching, and intolerance in the workplace, simply because of the hairstyles they chose to wear which best suit their texture.
Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Republic of South Africa: The Presidency. "And as a radio chemist, I advocate for so many children in S.T.E.M. and women in leadership positions and that's the mission of a Miss Universe".
The 22-year-old Nel-Peters has earned a yearlong salary, a luxury apartment in New York City for the duration of her reign and more prizes. She helped develop a program to train women in self-defence in various situations after she was robbed at gunpoint a month after she was crowned Miss South Africa. "She is a woman that nothing is ever too much to ask for, and I think that is exactly who I am".
Newly-crowned Miss Earth 2017 Karen Ibasco thanked her fellow beauty queen for representing the country "with beauty and a heart".
First-runner up honors went to Miss Colombia Laura Gonzalez and Miss Jamaica Davina Benette, 2nd runner-up.
Steve Harvey has returned as the show's host despite botching the 2015 Miss Universe crowning. On Sunday, he poked fun at his mistake throughout the night.
She adds, "A truly magical evening, welcome to the family Demi!"
The Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere from France was on hand to crown her.
- Study finds drinking coffee can cut risk of early death
- YouTube steps up takedowns as concerns about kids' videos grow
- Pakistani Police Use Tear Gas to Disperse Protesters in Islamabad
- Matt Ryan tops 300 passing yards in Falcons' win
- Trump Expressed Disbelief At Ivanka's Criticism Of Roy Moore
- Trump criticizes CNN for 'representing USA poorly to the world'
- RK Nagar bypoll on December 21
- Meyer: Tennessee Vols have contacted Schiano about head coaching job
- 3 killed, 9 injured as passenger train derails in northern India
- John Wall to miss two weeks after undergoing treatment on knee injury