Peters completed 9-of-18 passes, but didn't throw for a touchdown. They'll need to find a way to limit the Badgers' rushing attack, which is averaging 245 yards a game and is led by Jonathan Taylor, who leads the conference with 1,525 yards on the ground with 12 touchdowns.
Hornibrook threw an interception in the third quarter, as sophomore linebacker Devin Bush picked him off on the Badgers' 29-yard line at the 8:33 mark.
MI quarterback Brandon Peters was treated at a local hospital here Saturday afternoon for a head injury, putting into doubt his status for next week's season finale against Ohio State. MI has run the ball well lately, but the Badgers are giving up only 81.5 yards a game on the ground. That helped set up a 1-yard touchdown run by freshman fullback Ben Mason to tie the game at 7. Three plays later, Taylor caught a 24-yard TD pass with 3:31 left in the third quarter to put the Badgers ahead 14-10. Three plays later, this time on third-and-16, Hornibrook stepped up to avoid pressure and fired a pass through a tight window to Taylor for a 24-yard touchdown.
While Hornibrook's numbers against MI don't jump off the page, he came up with a couple of huge throws in key situations to lead the Badgers to a win.
On the next drive, Hornibrook connected with freshman wide receiver Danny Davis on third-and-8, one play before freshman Kendric Pryor took an end around 32 yards for a score that extended the Badgers' lead to 21-10 with 0:24 left in the third quarter.
That all changed after Hornibrook's interception. MI (8-3, 5-3 Big Ten) totaled just 65 yards of total offense in the second half.
Prior to the injury, Saturday's contest was a step in the right direction for the true freshman against one of the best defenses in college football. Many fans probably tuned in Saturday to see how the Badgers' game might affect their team's playoff hopes.
MI should be loaded elsewhere on the roster, particularly on defense, and Peters will have a star young receiver in Peoples-Jones to throw too. Jonathan Taylor is a classic Badger back, and while the Wolverines will slow him, they won't stop him. Then there is quarterback Alex Hornibrook.
Wisconsin, unlike MI, has been the poster child for consistency all year long. Still, Ohio State's front seven is looming as a major challenge, and the offensive line could be in trouble in a potential playoff game against a team like Alabama or Clemson.
- Manhunt On For Baltimore Cop Killer After Homicide Detective Dies In Hospital
- Doping: Kremlin calls WADA's decision on Russian Federation 'unfair'
- Jerry Jones continues to target Roger Goodell as feud grows more testy
- George Clooney to Direct, Star in 'Catch-22' Limited Series
- Leonardo Christ painting sells for record $450M
- Climate change denial or indifference are 'perverse attitudes' - pope
- AAA: More than 1.6M from MI plan Thanksgiving travel
- Students Exploring Class Action Lawsuit Against Striking Colleges
- Russian Federation casts 10th United Nations veto on Syria action, blocking inquiry renewal
- Keystone Pipeline Leaks 210000 Gallons of Oil in South Dakota