Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said Suiter was shot Wednesday while investigating a 2016 homicide in West Baltimore with his partner.
Police say Suiter, a Navy veteran who had been on the Baltimore force for 18 years, was shot in the head after he approached a man who was acting suspiciously in west Baltimore's Harlem Park neighborhood.
ABC News reports that Sean Suiter died Thursday of his injuries after he was shot in the head by a suspect who is still on the loose. Federal agencies were offering a $60,000 reward for information leading to the gunman's arrest. He was pronounced dead Thursday at noon. We will find the person responsible for this ridiculous, absurd, unnecessary loss of life, "said Commissioner Davis". "We are absolutely certain that the community will step up again to bring this heartless, ruthless, soulless killer to justice".
"Every police officer in our County is heartbroken at this senseless tragedy, and our prayers are with our brothers and sisters in the Baltimore City Police Department", Police Chief Timothy Altomare said in a statement.
Suiter was doing a follow up on a homicide in a notoriously violent section of Baltimore when he spotted a man who was engaging in suspicious activity.
She asked people to pray for Suiter's wife, his children, and the city. "This kind of violence can not be tolerated", she said. He will never be forgotten, and his sacrifice will be remembered forever by the generations of proud Baltimore police officers yet to come.
Governor Larry Hogan has also stated that on behalf of the State of Maryland an additional $100,000 will be added to the reward for information on the suspect involved in the shooting. "We will take it from here".
Suiter was the 137th Baltimore police officer to die in the line of duty.
- Trump halts speech to sip water, sparks Marco Rubio flashback
- Hillary blasts Trump over sexual misconduct allegations
- Russian Federation casts 10th United Nations veto on Syria action, blocking inquiry renewal
- Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World beauty pageant crown for India
- Moody's ups India's rating
- Trump Puts Big-Game Trophy Decision on Hold
- New Roy Moore accuser says he groped her in law office
- Students Exploring Class Action Lawsuit Against Striking Colleges
- Climate change denial or indifference are 'perverse attitudes' - pope
- Twitter removing white supremacists' verified badges