A top commander was among six foreign militants of Lashkher-e-Toiba (LeT) killed while one Indian Air Force (IAF) Garud martyred and a soldier injured in a fierce encounter in north Kashmir district of Bandipora, where protests erupted on Saturdayafternoon.
Security forces launched a search operation in Chandergeer village in Hajin area of the district after receiving specific intelligence input about the presence of militants in the area, a police official said.
"As the security forces closed in, the hiding terrorists fired at them triggering an encounter", said the police official. One of the terrorists killed in the encounter is Owaid, nephew of 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi. An Indian Air Force Garud commando was also killed and another army soldier was injured in the gunfight.
The gunbattle, which broke out in Hajin region, is still said to be underway. He is being held responsible in getting over 2000 terrorists and hundreds of their supporters and sympathisers killed. Total of 6 LeT militants eliminated. His pro-India and anti-Pakistan insurgency and politics led to successful Lok Sabha and Assembly elections in Kashmir in 1996. For a long time, their local supporters failed most of the operations of Police and security forces with slogans and stone pelting.
"Six terrorists have been killed in the encounter", Kalia told AFP.
Last month two militants and two IAF personnel were killed in a similar gunfight in the village.
On August 27, 2017, suspected LeT terrorists spread a wave of terror by beheading a 24-year-old civilian Muzaffar Ahmad Parray of Hajin whose body was spotted and fished out from river Jhelum next day.
Mehmood Bhai is the third man from the Lakhvi family to be killed in Kashmir. The Lashkar leadership has been killed in southern districts of Kashmir where its commanders and key militants including Junaid Matto, Abu Ismail and Arif Lelhari fell past year.
- With Franken, the Reckoning Over Sexual Misconduct Comes to the Democrats
- Kim Kardashian Reveals Gender Of Her & Kanye West's Baby
- Russian Federation casts 10th United Nations veto on Syria action, blocking inquiry renewal
- Kim Kardashian enters fragrance world, launches her first scents
- Hillary blasts Trump over sexual misconduct allegations
- Get your elephant trophies, United States now says
- Want a Longer Leash on Life? Get a Dog
- Apple Pushes HomePod Release to 2018
- New Roy Moore accuser says he groped her in law office
- AAA: More than 1.6M from MI plan Thanksgiving travel