On Thursday, the WADA Foundation Board held a meeting in Seoul.
The Vedomosti business daily said Russian channels would be unable to turn a profit on low viewership, reporting that licenses for the 2018 Winter Games and the 2020 Winter Olympics in Japan cumulatively cost $40 million. According to a senior official, the state is aware of current problems.
Countries and sports federations must be compliant with the WADA Code to be eligible for the Olympics with the International Olympic Committee making the ultimate decision on participation.
The International Olympic Committee's executive board will announce december 5 whether Russian athletes will be allowed to participate in the 2018 Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea, the IOC press service announced Friday. Russia, which avoided a blanket ban at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, though its track-and-field athletes were barred, has said its team will only compete in South Korea under the national flag. Russian officials have continued to refuse to accept the findings of state-sponsored doping and are still refusing to allow inspectors into Rusada's Moscow laboratory.
Russian authorities deny there was a state-backed doping program, but have pledged to follow global recommendations to get the suspension lifted. The global anti-doping body this week refused to reinstate Russia's anti-doping agency for the third year straight. However, the International Olympic Committee this month stripped two Russian athletes of one gold and four silver medals won in Sochi after ruling that they'd violated anti-doping rules, and said that cases against other competitors would be heard over the next few weeks.
- Minimum alcohol pricing clears final hurdle
- Get your elephant trophies, United States now says
- Fantastic Beasts 2 Title And Young Dumbledore Revealed In First Teaser
- Danica finishing career in the Indy 500 is fitting, says IMS president
- Apple Pushes HomePod Release to 2018
- AAA: More than 1.6M from MI plan Thanksgiving travel
- US Security Delegation Heads to Israel to Discuss Syria Ceasefire
- With Franken, the Reckoning Over Sexual Misconduct Comes to the Democrats
- Twitter removing white supremacists' verified badges
- Kim Kardashian Reveals Gender Of Her & Kanye West's Baby