Late Thursday night, Dish Network and CBS reached an agreement, hours after more than three million customers were unable to watch the LA Chargers and Dallas Cowboys game. The channels are now being restored to DISH customers.
"CBS is attempting to tax Dish customers on programming that's losing viewers, tax Dish customers on programming available for free over the air, and tax Dish customers for content available directly from CBS", Dish executive vice president Warren Schlichting said in a statement.
Deal terms were not disclosed.
SIGN UP to watch CANADA BASKETBALL throughout the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019, including its November 24 qualifier against the Bahamas, on DAZN, the ultimate sports streaming service in Canada. Dish doesn't share exactly how much it pays CBS to retransmit its channels, but CBS's CEO Les Moonves estimated the network charges traditional cable companies $2 per subscriber at Goldman Sachs' Communacopia media conference earlier this year. On the site, Dish alleges CBS is asking the satellite operator to pay "more than 50 percent higher than what we now pay to carry this channel". What made the deal more pressing was that DISH subscribers watched CBS more than any other broadcast or cable outlet.
The blackout affected almost 4 million Dish Network subscriber homes - including 400,000 in the Los Angeles region. The new deal covers networks including CBS, CBS Sports Network, Pop, and the Smithsonian channel.
CBS officials said they, too were happy that the tiff was over.
That scenario recently played out between CBS and DISH. Dish's 13.2 million customers are important to advertisers on CBS, which also counts on the satellite carrier's subscriber fees. "The fees CBS and other broadcasters charge pay-TV providers, like Dish, to carry local channels is up an incredible 1,700 percent".
- Alcohol spirits like gin, rum are mood dampners; beer, wine help relax
- 'Game Of Thrones' Hack Investigation Sees US Prosecutors Charge Iranian Man
- Delhi: 4-year-old boy booked for 'raping' classmate in school
- Argentina: Missing sub could be out of oxygen soon
- Uber Paid Hackers to Hide Exposed Data of 57 Million Users
- Paxton Lynch Named Broncos Starting Quarterback
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 25 victor revealed
- Fantastic Beasts star joins Captain Marvel
- Monreal expects stars to remain with Gunners
- Basel vs Manchester United