It does not appear Nick Fairley will play in 2017, and the future of his career is in jeopardy as well.
After all, Fairley's heart condition is something National Football League teams have known about since before he became a pro, so it's not like the Saints were blindsided about the possibility it could end up becoming an issue one day.
Either way, there will nearly certainly be some sort of contract dispute since Fairley just signed a four-year contract with the Saints in March worth between $28-30 million, including an $8 million signing bonus and a total of $14 million in guarantees.
Fairley visited a cardiologist last month and since then has been away from OTAs and out of communication with many of his teammates. Fairley had a career season with 6.5 sacks in his first season with the Black and Gold. Saints coach Sean Payton had said Fairley was getting a third opinion on the condition.
Per Adam Schefter, Fairley's football career could be over. His 2016 season with the Saints was the only of his six in which he played every regular season game.
On June 3, The Advocate's Nick Underhill reported that Fairley missed organized team activities because of a heart issue.
Fairley started all 16 games for the Saints last season, tallying 43 total tackles. They also have 2nd year DT David Onyemata and 3rd year DT Tyeler Davison.
Fairley's addition to the NFI list could result in him missing the entire 2017 season. The Detroit Lions still drafted him in the first round, and he spent four years with them.
- Mom charged in deaths of 2 children found in hot car
- Dani Alves opens up about possible Man City move this summer
- United Kingdom fire safety crisis expands; Hundreds evacuated in London
- Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna feeling 'weird,' mentally off
- Weibo shares tumble on China internet crackdown
- A new platform for Whole Foods? How deal could upend grocery
- Trump Suggests His 'Tapes' Tweet Was To Keep Comey Honest
- National Weather Service issues flash flood watch
- Sanders Says Fraud Investigation into Wife Won't Be 'Distraction'
- Jury questions posed during Bill Cosby's sex assault trial