Aigboje Ikhuoria reports that some residents in Benin City donated blood as part of the commemoration of the day.
"We need to change the culture of a single donation motivated by urgency to a culture based on repeated, altruistic donation", said PAHO Regional Blood Services and Transplants Advisor María Dolores Pérez-Rosales.
"It makes no difference if you're a donor or if you aren't".
About 57 countries around the world collect 100 per cent of their blood supply from voluntary, unpaid blood donors, WHO say.
False again. The process of blood donation is very simple and takes only less than 30 minutes. The donated one unit of blood will be retained in the body within 24-48 hours after donation.
Earlier, Dr. R. Allya, Member Secretary, Meghalaya State Blood Transfusion Council, gave a power-point presentation on the "Scenario of Blood Transfusion Services in Meghalaya". Also, another major reason for the dip in blood donors is that people are unaware and still believe in myths attached to blood donation. They people separates the components of blood and supplies the essential component to a needy one.
To this end, the Ministry of Health and Wellness, through the Victoria Hospital Blood Bank Services, and in association with the St. Jude Hospital Blood Bank and International American University (AIU), will host a mega blood donation drive, encouraging Saint Lucians to show their support. "Within some days we would issue the licenses to these hospitals", she said.
Some 465,000 units of blood were donated in 2007, and almost 1.4 million units were given in 2016, according to Mai. In this campaign, she requests everyone to donate blood at least once a year.
"Only then will the blood banks of the countries of the region be able to achieve self-sufficiency and ensure that access to blood for transfusions is universal". This sometimes leads to blood donation dropping down the list of priorities.
So you can help us out by donating on Thursday, December 28 from 9 A.M.to 7 P.M.
- E3 2017: Xbox One X Will Indeed Support VR
- Spithill, Oracle get swagger back with 1st America's Cup win
- Making a Murderer Inmate Scores a Legal Victory
- A new platform for Whole Foods? How deal could upend grocery
- Weibo shares tumble on China internet crackdown
- Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna feeling 'weird,' mentally off
- YouTube TV Set to Stream to Ten More Markets
- Federer beats Khachanov to advance to his 11th Halle final
- Trump signs bill aiming to hold VA employees accountable
- ND sailor aboard USS Fitzgerald when it was struck