Authorities in North Texas have arrested a 25-year-old woman for the deaths a month ago of her two children found in a hot vehicle outside their home. Officials say that Randolph was trying to teach her daughter a lesson.
Twenty-four-year-old Cynthia Marie Randolph was jailed Friday on two counts of causing serious bodily harm to a child. The children died after spending several hours in the auto.
"When they refused to exit, Randolph told police she shut the vehicle door to teach Juliet a lesson, thinking she could get herself and her brother out of the auto when ready", a probable cause affidavit for the incident stated. Temperatures that day reached into the mid-90s.
Documents released on Friday reveal the department's rational for arresting the suspect.
What was Randolph's original story?She said when she noticed they were no longer there, she went looking for them and found them about a half-hour later locked in the vehicle.
In Randolph's initial statements, the sheriff's office told NBC 5, she said the two children had been playing and when she couldn't find them in the house, she started searching the property, eventually locating them in the vehicle. She claimed that she broke one of the car's windows to try to save them.
How did that work out for her?
A 23-year-old West Texas man has been arrested and charged with five felonies for a traffic wreck that left three people dead and he and three others hurt. After about 20 to 30 minutes passed, Randolph said she realized she had not heard the children and noticed they were gone.
When she later discovered the kids, Randolph broke a vehicle window "to make it look like an accident", according to the television station. Her bond has not been set. Null, a meteorologist that works with the National Safety Council, tracks the trend in hot auto deaths each year via his web site.
- Camden evacuates tower block after Grenfell fire
- McIlroy, Day try to make up ground, make cut at US Open
- ND sailor aboard USS Fitzgerald when it was struck
- Trump signs bill aiming to hold VA employees accountable
- YouTube TV Set to Stream to Ten More Markets
- Watch SpaceX launch a used rocket and attempt an extra-tricky landing
- Jury questions posed during Bill Cosby's sex assault trial
- Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna feeling 'weird,' mentally off
- Josh who? Drake's abs steal the show
- Thousands stretch and pose for International Yoga Day