New Zealand goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic, who helped Unterhaching win promotion from the German fourth division last season, kept the score down with a superb second-half display.
On the suspension of Képler Laveran Lima Ferreira, also known as "Pepe" the coach said it may be a blessing in disguise because a new player might emerge in his place in the semi-finals.
Portugal's Ricardo Quaresma, right, kicks the ball past New Zealand's Dane Ingham and New Zealand's Michael Boxall, left, during the Confederations Cup, Group A soccer match between New Zealand and Portugal, at the St. Peters. "They are two world powers and our objective is to reach the final and win, with total modesty and humility and showing respect as we have done until now".
"We're obviously at a disadvantage", Chile coach Juan Antonio Pizzi said.
Mexico also progressed to the semifinals as they knocked hosts Russian Federation out of the tournament with a 2-1 victory elsewhere.
The New Zealand men's football team have been beaten four-nil by Portugal in their final match of the Confederations Cup, making it three losses from three matches in pool play.
Nani completed the scoring with his 25th global goal.
"We faced a rival that needed to win and had nothing to lose, and we competed very well against them", Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio said.
"Overall, there were some really positive signs in the game", he said.
Igor Akinfeev was then left embarrassed as Lozano nipped in front of the Russian Federation goalkeeper to head in from the edge of the area on 52 minutes after a towering clearance caused chaos in the home defense.
In the semifinals, Portugal will play on Wednesday in Kazan against the runner-up in Group B, which is now Germany before the final group games Sunday.
Akinfeev failed to clear a bouncing ball, allowing Lozano to sneak in and score the victor seven minutes into the second half.
Russian Federation was the lowest-ranked team in the eight-nation competition among continental champions plus the World Cup victor and the host nation. "I hope the players will use the experience to grow and develop".
- E3 2017: Xbox One X Will Indeed Support VR
- Jury questions posed during Bill Cosby's sex assault trial
- A new platform for Whole Foods? How deal could upend grocery
- Devils on the clock with No. 1 pick in NHL draft
- United Kingdom fire safety crisis expands; Hundreds evacuated in London
- Chinese Nobel Peace laureate freed on medical grounds
- United Kingdom fears the Gulf's Qatar blockade is hurting its people
- Snapchat's new feature is more unsafe than we think
- The first iOS 11 and tvOS 11 public betas are now available
- Gerrymandering gave GOP unfair advantage in IN elections