Coach Guardiola has recruited Alves in Barcelona from Sevilla in the year 2008 prior to the first season leading the Catalans and the pair to win several title leagues, two in King's Cups and two in Champions League.
On Wednesday, the Serie A club's director Beppe Marotta confirmed that the 34-year-old's contract will be terminated by mutual consent, which paves the way for the right-back to complete a free transfer to Pep Guardiola's side.
'I don't know what's happening, ' he said.
"If I leave, it will be without any confrontation and with no problems, as opposed to what is being said". "Music's my passion, football's a hobby", he told Conversa com Bial.
"I left all the work to my agents, and they said they will talk to me when there is a solution. Well, everyone knows my admiration for Pep Guardiola..." hedged Alves, leaving everyone guessing at what he's hinting at.
City are on the lookout for a new right-back, with Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna set to officially depart when their contracts expire at the end of this month.
In fact Alves created 31 chances in the Champions League last campaign, with Real Madrid's Toni Kroos the only player to create a higher amount.
- Tropical Storm Bret forms; Cindy may be brewing
- France's Macron to reshuffle government after parliament win
- Rebels among UK's ruling Conservatives to scupper 'no-deal' Brexit
- Awards for Chichester college and university
- CBSE NEET 2017 Results Declared - Check now @ cbseresults.nic.in, cbseneet
- Fed: US banks have money for crisis
- Thousands stretch and pose for International Yoga Day
- Camden evacuates tower block after Grenfell fire
- YouTube TV Set to Stream to Ten More Markets
- Trump disputes Russian interference in 2016 election