Juan Carlos Osorio hailed Mexico's "resilience" as they came from behind to beat Russian Federation 2-1 at the Confederations Cup and advance to the semifinals.
Zhirkov had almost opened the scoring for Russian Federation just a few minutes before the play that was reviewed, but his low left-foot shot missed just wide. But we had a period in that first half when we allowed them to come into the game and gave ourselves too much to do to get back into it. The defender headed the ball into the opposite corner, over goalkeeper Akinfeev.
Andre Silva added a third on 80 minutes before Nani completed the rout in stoppage time to ensure Portugal finished above Mexico on goal difference.
The Unterhaching goalkeeper kept out efforts from Andre Silva and Nani, shortly after his introduction for Ronaldo, but there was little he could do when Andre Silva burst through with 10 minutes to go to fire high into the net.
The former Manchester United player continues to be highly productive in attack and defense thanks to his hard work on and off the ball.
Portugal put the outcome beyond doubt when Andre Silva darted into the right of the penalty area and crashed the ball into the top corner, with Nani adding the fourth in the final seconds.
The veteran forward has always worked well as Ronaldo's partner up front, helping create scoring opportunities and being precise with his finishing in front of the goal.
Mexico winger Hirving Lozano took advantage of an bad mix-up in the Russian defence to score an extraordinary goal which gave his side a 2-1 win and knocked the Confederations Cup hosts out of the tournament on Saturday.
Nevertheless, Russia coach Stanislav Cherchesov said the team had made major strides since a year ago.
It was his 75th goal for Portugal, bringing him level with Sandor Kocsis in second place on the list of Europe's highest worldwide goal scorers.
"I'm very proud to make 100 appearances, I hope to do even more", said Moutinho. "Every player and keeper is entitled to commit an error", Cherchesov said of the goalkeeping error.
For New Zealand and Hudson, who was applauded as he left his postmatch news conference, it was the end of a valuable learning experience that is all the more necessary owing to the lack of top-level opposition in their local federation, Oceania.
- United Kingdom fears the Gulf's Qatar blockade is hurting its people
- Federer beats Khachanov to advance to his 11th Halle final
- Arab Nations Demand Qatar Shut Down Al Jazeera
- Dani Alves opens up about possible Man City move this summer
- Trump Suggests His 'Tapes' Tweet Was To Keep Comey Honest
- Spithill, Oracle get swagger back with 1st America's Cup win
- Ronaldo on target as Portugal ease into semifinals
- Colton Haynes joins 'American Horror Story' season seven cast
- Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna feeling 'weird,' mentally off
- Gerrymandering gave GOP unfair advantage in IN elections