But, geez, the Blue Jays skipper must feel like emitting a boohoo or two over the incessant injuries and DL bouts that have befallen his club in 2017: 290 man-games on the disabled list for players on the 25 man-roster, and the season hasn't even reached its midpoint yet. With one swing of the bat, Merrifield handed the Jays their worst loss of the season.
"You always want to be up with the game on the line", Merrifield said.
All four runs in the ninth inning were scored with two outs. And, gulp, out of the bullpen came Jason Grilli, who'd only been used in blowouts and low-leverage situations for the past few weeks.
Manager John Gibbons is tinkering with a new batting order, moving Jose Bautista, who had three hits Friday, to the leadoff spot.
Happ held the Royals to one run on four hits through 6 2/3 innings, three of those hits coming in the seventh inning when a double, a Ryan Goins error and a single combined to cut Toronto's lead to 2-1.
With a post-game fireworks show on tap, the sellout crowd of 38,848 was still around and suddenly they were at the edge of their seats for a different type of explosion that awaited.
Royals catcher Salvador Perez (right) blocks a throw home as the Blue Jays' Kendrys Morales slides in safely on a Troy Tulowitzki RBI double in the fourth inning of Friday night's game in Kansas City.
Blue Jays: RHP Francisco Liriano, who is 3-3 with a 5.76 ERA, will make his 12th start. Tepera and Danny Barnes are the top candidates to fill in for Osuna.
Instead, a bullpen that had been mostly reliable of late couldn't come through with one desperate out to clinch it.
"I wish I knew how to get out of here and how to get out of this", Osuna said.
According to oddsmakers at BetDSI, Toronto is favored on the road, as the Blue Jays are getting odds of -115 to win.
Toronto hopes to put a halt to that trend with southpaw J.A. Happ taking the hill on Friday looking for his third win in as many starts.
"This has nothing to do with me being on the field", Osuna said.
Blue Jays RHP Marco Estrada and Royals LHP Jason Vargas, both Long Beach State alums, are scheduled to start Saturday.
The Royals enter the weekend riding high after taking two of three from the Boston Red Sox, capped by Wednesday's 6-4 victory as +121 home underdogs, to improve to 9-2 over their past 11 games.
So what about Osuna?
"He wasn't feeling well tonight".
- Bill Cosby's Accuser Grilled for Alleged Inconsistencies in Story
- Mo Brooks' name appeared on James Hodgkinson assassination hit list, report says
- YouTube TV Set to Stream to Ten More Markets
- Watch SpaceX launch a used rocket and attempt an extra-tricky landing
- Loretta Lynch now under investigation for possibly tampering with Clinton email probe
- Google will kill Android Market on June 30
- McIlroy, Day try to make up ground, make cut at US Open
- Colton Haynes joins 'American Horror Story' season seven cast
- Donald Trump confirms obstruction of justice probe, claiming 'witch hunt'
- Trump disputes Russian interference in 2016 election